1. Who we are
This privacy notice provides you with details of how we collect and process your data through your use of our site themindofsteel.com (referred to as “we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice).
By providing us with your data, you warrant to us that you are over 13 years of age.
2. What data we collect about you and why we collect it
Personal data means any information capable of identifying an individual. It does not include anonymized data.
We may process the following categories of data about you:
- Communication Data. This includes any communication that you send to us whether that be through the contact form on our website, through email, text, social media messaging, social media posting or any other form of communication. We process this data for the purposes of communicating with you, for record keeping and for the establishment, pursuance or defense of legal claims. Our lawful ground for this processing is either consent or our legitimate interests which in this case are to reply to communications sent to us, to keep records and to establish, pursue or defend legal claims.
- Customer Data. This includes data relating to any purchases of goods and/or services such as your name, title, billing address, delivery address email address, phone number, contact details, purchase details and your card details. We process this data to supply the goods and/or services you have purchased and to keep records of such transactions. Our lawful ground for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps at your request to enter into such a contract.
- User Data that includes data about how you use our website and any online services together with any data that you post for publication on our website or through other online services. We process this data to operate our website and ensure relevant content is provided to you, to ensure the security of our website, to maintain backups of our website and/or databases and to enable publication and administration of our website, other online services and business. Our lawful ground for this processing is our legitimate interests which in this case are to enable us to properly administer our website and our business.
- Technical Data. This includes data about your use of our website and our online services. This is data such as your IP address, your login data, details about your browser, length of visit to pages on our website, page views and navigation paths, details about the number of times you use our website, time zone settings and other technology on the devices you use to access our website. Our lawful ground for this processing is our legitimate interests which in this case are to enable us to properly administer our website and our business and to grow our business and to decide our marketing strategy.
- Marketing data. This includes data about your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences. We process this data to enable you to deliver relevant website content, news, updates, or promotions. We may also use such data to send other marketing communications to you. Our lawful ground for this processing is either your consent or our legitimate interests (namely to grow our business).
Services that may process your data:
- Gumroad, Stripe and/or PayPal. These tools are used to process payments and deliver purchased goods. Your payment is secured by TLS, a higher grade of security than SSL, with 128-bit encryption and using modern SHA2 cyphers. Your payment is processed using PCI Compliant service providers. PCI Compliance means meeting current security standards for handling payment information.
- ConvertKit and/or MailChimp. These are email delivery tools used for sending newsletters, delivering free content, updates about the website, promotions, information about our products, and marketing emails. ConvertKit is our current provider, but if you signed up before May 27, 2018 your data may also be held by MailChimp (to keep proof of consent).
- Google Analytics – This is a tool by Google that tracks parameters such as browser type, operating system, referring site, and the date and time of each site visit. We enforce IP anonymization to prevent tracking personal information. In other words, we don’t know who you are and we don’t collect personally identifiable information, we just track your general use of the website.
- Hotjar – This is a service that tracks and records visitors’ usage of the website, including scrolling and clicks. We do not track any form of personal information and enforce automatic suppression on all numeric-digits, email addresses, and IP addresses. In other words, we don’t know who you are and we don’t see what you enter in any fields, we just track your general use of the website.
- Cloudflare – This is a CDN service (content delivery network) that ensures enhanced speed and security of the website. To ensure this, it collects things like IP addresses, DNS log data, and website performance data derived from browser activity. This is necessary for filtering out malicious access to the website. This data is used only for the purposes stated above (mainly security, like preventing spam and website attacks).
We may use Customer Data, User Data, Technical Data and Marketing Data to deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you (including Facebook adverts or other display advertisements) and to measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve you. Our lawful ground for this processing is legitimate interests which is to grow our business. We may also use such data to send other marketing communications to you. Our lawful ground for this processing is either consent or legitimate interests (namely to grow our business).
We do not collect any Sensitive Data about you.
Sensitive data refers to data that includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data. We do not collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
Where we are required to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of the contract between us and you do not provide us with that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract (for example, to deliver goods or services to you). If you don’t provide us with the requested data, we may have to cancel a product or service you have ordered.
We will only use your personal data for a purpose it was collected for or a reasonably compatible purpose if necessary. In case we need to use your details for an unrelated new purpose we will let you know and explain the legal grounds for processing. We may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent where this is required or permitted by law.
3. How we collect your personal data
- You provide data about you directly to us. For example, you provide us data about you by filling out forms on our site or by sending us emails.
- We may receive data from third parties. This includes providers based outside the EU such as Google, Facebook, Stripe, Gumroad, PayPal, MailChimp, ConvertKit, and providers of technical, payment and delivery services, such as data brokers or aggregators.
4. How long we retain your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely.
5. Sharing your data
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below:
- Service providers who provide IT and system administration services.
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers
- Government bodies that require us to report processing activities.
- Third parties to whom we sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets.
We require all third parties to whom we transfer your data to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We only allow such third parties to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Where we transfer your data to third parties outside of the EEA, we will ensure that certain safeguards are in place to ensure a similar degree of security for your personal data.
6. What rights you have over your data
Under data protection laws you have rights in relation to your personal data that include the right to request access, correction, erasure, restriction, transfer, to object to processing, to portability of data and (where the lawful ground of processing is consent) to withdraw consent. More info about these rights.
Here is how you can exercise those rights:
- User-submitted information. If you have an account on this website, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. You can request to export or erase your personal data by contacting email@example.com
- Email marketing communication. If you receive email marketing, updates or promotions from us, you have specifically opted in to receive this type of communication. All email subscriptions require double opt-in (i.e. you need to confirm your email address to be added to the newsletter for receiving updates). You may also be automatically subscribed to receive emails about any products you have purchased, so you can receive updates to the product.
You can revoke this consent at any time by clicking “Unsubscribe” link in any email you have received through any of the email delivery tools listed above. If you can’t find these links, you can contact us directly to remove you from our list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In that case, your request needs to be sent from the same email you wish to remove.
- Other. If you wish to exercise any of the other rights set out above, please email us at email@example.com. We will need to confirm your identity before we can process your claim.
7. Data Security
We have put in place security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used, altered, disclosed, or accessed without authorization. We also allow access to your personal data only to those employees and partners who have a business need to know such data. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they must keep it confidential.
We have procedures in place to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach if we are legally required to.
8. Third-Party Content
This website may include links to third-party websites, plugins and applications. This website may also include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.